All adventure stories need characters....
... a middle...
... and an end!
Welcome to the Maths section of the Lindfield Primary Academy website. Here you will find lots of information about what sort of maths activities takes place in our school.
At Lindfield Primary Academy, from Early Years right through to Year 6, the children are taught to be fluent mathematicians who show great reasoning and problem solving skills. These three core principals form the backbone to all our maths lessons.
Our intent for the maths curriculum is:
- To ensure all pupils are fluent mathematicians who are confident in the fundamentals of mathematics through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time. In order that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- To promote mathematical reasoning by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language.
- To solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
- To encourage a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about mathematics.
- To develop links between maths and other curriculum areas such as science, computing or P.E.
- To make sure that all children leave the academy as confident mathematicians.
Our implementation of the maths curriculum:
We take a CONCRETE – PICTORIAL – ABSTRACT approach to maths lessons. The children are first introduced to new concepts throughout concrete, physical resources before moving onto to pictorial, visual representations to further solidify the children’s understanding. Finally, the children will be introduced to abstract ideas on paper where they can apply their knowledge throughout a range of fluency, reasoning and problem solving activities.
The impact of our maths curriculum
We believe that every child has the potential to become a confident and successful mathematician at Lindfield Primary Academy. During their time here, the children will develop their fluency and learn how to reason and problem solve effectively and efficiently. Using these skills to solve real life problems will help them succeed with mathematical challenges in the future. At Lindfield Primary Academy we will help children develop the tools they need so they are ready for the challenges of secondary school and beyond.