Developing responsible attitudes and self-confidence
What is the School Council?
- An inclusive, structured, forum for discussion and decision-making.
- A means for children to raise issues and concerns.
- A means to consult all pupils.
Why have a School Council?
- To help children develop responsible attitudes.
- To improve behaviour.
- To give children hands-on experience of issues in the National Curriculum, including PHSE and Citizenship.
- To create a feeling of belonging, encourage listening to others and develop self-confidence.
- To improve pupil/teacher relationships.
How does the School Council work?
- The Chair leads the meetings.
- Conventional committee procedures are used.
- Class representatives bring issues to the School Council.
When does the School Council take place?
Usually every week, on a Wednesday, for 30 minutes.
How can I raise an issue?
Tell your class representative- your point will be raised at the next meeting.
How do I find out what happened?
Class representatives will feed back to their class as soon as possible the following week during class council.
The School Council have outlined the roles of each officer, which will be as follows:
- Draw up an agenda – all members can add to this up to two days before a meeting.
- Take views of other Council members.
- Give their views about matters being considered.
- Take the Chairperson’s place if not available.
- Assist the Chairperson.
- Take down the minutes of the meeting (minutes should be available by Monday morning following a Friday meeting).
- Write any letters/communicate with others.
If a member seeks election as Chairperson, and is unsuccessful, they will automatically go forward for possible election as Vice-Chairperson.
The Council agreed that these positions should be open to Year 6 pupils only.
School Council outing
In November, members of the School Council and House Captains visited David Wilson Homes in Lindfield to find out about Site Safety. They had a tour of the Show Home, watched a forklift truck display and were skilfully taught how to build a brick wall. An informative and fun trip!