Double Success for Lindfield Footballers

Published Apr 25, 2016

By James Smyth

Lindfield Primary Academy’s footballers celebrated double success last month as both the boys’ and girls’ teams were crowned Haywards Heath champions! Whilst the school has won both trophies in the past, this was the first time that Lindfield has achieved the double in the same year. 

The girls’ team, who had won the title in 2014 and 2015, kicked off their defence in fine style with group wins over Northlands Wood (7-0), St. Wilfrid’s (5-0) and Holy Trinity (3-0) and whilst top scorer Hazel Cotton scored freely throughout, it was all round team effort with goals coming from all over the park. A tough semi-final against Bolnore followed, however, the girls’ in white came through a tight encounter 2-0. This set up a final against Harlands. This was an extremely close encounter and the girls had to recover from the set back of conceding a rare goal, early in the second half. However, a cracking equaliser from midfielder Zoe Downey calmed the nerves before captain, Hannah Taylor, popped up at the back post in the last minute score the winner and secure a third straight title. Special mention must go to Hazel Cotton, who is the only player to play in all three title winning sides and has scored over 100 goals for the school in the last three years. Her efforts will be sorely missed next year.

The Lindfield boys, who had faired extremely well getting to the Mid-Sussex semi-finals earlier in the year, had high expectations as they took part in their competition the following day. Buoyed on by the success of the girls, they managed to qualify from their group with wins over Harlands, Northlands Wood and Bolnore. With just one group in the boys’ competition, the top two teams went straight to a final with Lindfield once again taking on Harlands for the title. The match was an even closer affair than the girls, with neither team able to take a stranglehold on the game. It ended 2-2 at the end of the game and not even extra time could separate the teams so penalties ensued. After both teams had scored 4 out of their 5 penalties, it went to sudden death. Each member of the team had taken a penalty when goalkeeper, Barnaby Grout, made the vital save to win the trophy. The boys were delighted and the school were able to celebrate the double success before the Easter break.