At Lindfield Primary Academy we strive to provide the very best education for pupils of all abilities. With this in mind, we have designed a broad and balanced curriculum which enables all children to achieve to the highest end of their potential. We recognise that a huge number of the children in our academy have subjects or areas where they are either performing, or have the potential to perform, at a higher level than the majority of their peers. We identify these pupils as more able.
Our aims are to:
- Provide an enriched, broad and balanced curriculum to engage and inspire all learners.
- Identify pupils who are striving to work at a greater depth in one or more curriculum or school value area.
- Provide opportunities for mastery level learning through Quality First Teaching in the classroom.
- Set challenging but attainable targets for all children, including those identified as more able.
- Provide enrichment activities outside of the classroom utilising secondary, college and university links for all pupils, including directing resources to those identified as more able where appropriate.
- Celebrate a vast range of achievement and attainment by all pupils in the Academy.
Our definition of more able is ANY pupil who is achieving, or has the capacity to achieve, at a greater depth than the majority of their peers in one or more curriculum area. In amongst this group there may be children who are performing at a significantly higher level relative to their age expectation and peers – at Lindfield Primary Academy we identify these pupils as the most able. As we aim to have the widest possible view of ability, we also include children who show particular skills and talents in our Academy Values - such as teamwork, perseverance and respect - in the category of more able where applicable.
Curriculum Enrichment Experiences
As part of our academy-wide approach to harness the interests, talents, knowledge and skills of all our pupils here at Lindfield, we now hold Curriculum Enrichment Experiences.
In these, children from Years 1 to 6 mix with their peers from parallel classes and neighbouring year groups to experience opportunities covering a range of the wider curriculum. Pupils take part in specialist cooking, orienteering, dance, science, art, music, PE, French, drama, computing, DT and so many more lessons, laid on by our passionate teaching staff who plan and deliver exciting extra sessions to enthuse and engage their groups.
It has been obvious from the many, many smiling faces that the children have thoroughly enjoyed the additional opportunities on offer so far. The children always ask us when the next Enrichment Experiences are going to come around!